12 Days of Baking – Day 3: Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
I love me a rice krispie treat. They’re sweet, sticky, and buttery. They’re perfect just the way they are. However, when you want to step up your rice krispie game, I suggest dipping them in chocolate and adding some crushed candy canes. Can you say epic holiday treat. Winning
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 11/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 6 candy canes (crushed)
- Melt butter over low heat in a large pot. Once melted stir in vanilla and add marshmallows. Continue stirring until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add in rice krispies cereal and stir until well coated.
- Butter your hands and press mixture into an 8×8 non-stick pan. Add sprinkles to the top and press again lightly so the sprinkles stick.
- Once cooled, cut into square (whatever size you would like) and set on wax paper.
- In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips in the microwave at 20 second intervals stirring each time until chocolate is completely melted. If chocolate seems gloopy, add about 1 teaspoon of vegetable shortening until it becomes running. Dip rice krispie treats in chocolate, shaking off excess chocolate, then add sprinkle to the top.
- Let chocolate set up and serve